You are reading

De Blasio Announces Furloughs for Another 9,000 City Employees

Sept. 23, 2020 By Allie Griffin

More than 9,000 city employees will be furloughed as the city faces a major budget deficit spurred by the coronavirus shutdown, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today.

Thousands of managerial and non-union city employees must take five days of furlough between October and March, which will save the city $21 million, the mayor said.

The news expands on the announcement de Blasio made last week that he and his mayoral staff of roughly 500 employees will also take a week-long furlough.

The furloughs will help offset the $9 billion revenue hole the city is facing amid the pandemic.

“[It’s] something that’s very painful to have to announce,” de Blasio said. “It has real human consequences but it is necessary.”

However, furloughs will only buy the city more time to balance its budget, he said — adding that layoffs could still happen later on.

“We need to keep finding savings to keep bridging us to give us a chance to get something better than layoffs,” de Blasio said. “No one wants to see layoffs, but unfortunately they’re still on the table.”

He has previously warned that he may lay off 22,000 municipal employees if the city doesn’t get either federal assistance or borrowing power from the state.

The city is continuing to work with union leaders to find savings and avoid layoffs, the mayor added.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Second worker injury at Edgemere Commons construction site leads to new calls for removal of general contractor

South Queens elected officials, and the leader of the union that represents 10,000 construction workers, are renewing their call for the city to remove the general contractor on the Edgemere Commons mega-project in Far Rockaway after a worker was injured on the site in early February.

The incident took place about two weeks after elected officials and union leaders held a rally at the site on Jan. 25 in opposition to the general contractor, Joy Construction, after a worker was struck in the knee on Dec. 23 by splintered wood.

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

NYPD honors school crossing guard who was killed at dangerous Queens intersection in October

Fallen school crossing guard Krystyna Naprawa was posthumously promoted by the NYPD to the rank of community coordinator during a ceremony at One Police Plaza on Thursday attended by her family, friends and dozens of colleagues.

The 14-year veteran was killed while on duty on the morning of Oct. 20 after safely guiding children across a busy intersection on Woodhaven Boulevard and Atlantic Avenue in Woodhaven. Moments later, Naprawa was struck by a turning dump truck that proceeded to run her over. EMS pronounced her dead at the scene.