You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley is Back, Officially Launches Second Bid for Queens BP

Elizabeth Crowley (Elizabeth Crowley via Facebook)

April 14, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley officially announced Wednesday that she is running for Queens Borough President once again.

Crowley, who was surrounded by well-wishers, made the announcement at an event held on the steps of the Flushing Library Wednesday.

“Our borough was facing crises on many fronts even prior to the pandemic,” she said. “The status quo isn’t enough. I will fight for the families of Queens. I have the experience to do so.”

Crowley, who represented the 30th Council District from 2009 to 2017, ran for the position last year to replace outgoing Queens Borough President Melinda Katz. Katz left to become Queens district attorney.

The Glendale resident came in second in the June Democratic primary to Donovan Richards, who went on to secure the borough president seat in the November general election.

Richards won the right to hold office until the end of the year—completing what would have been Katz’ term. He is not vying for a full term and is facing Crowley and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer in a primary on June 22.

Crowley announced Wednesday that her top priorities as borough president would be to fight for a recovery plan that prioritizes the needs of working families and small businesses. She said she would also work to provide rental assistance for tenants, many of whom have struggled throughout the pandemic.

She said she would work to secure resources to prevent hate crimes in Queens — especially those against Asian Americans.

Crowley also said she would protect and expand the gifted and talented program at public schools and fight for smaller class sizes. She pledged to expand public transit, including free busing throughout the borough.

“I have lived my entire life in Queens, and I raised a family here as a single parent,” she said. “I know all of the neighborhoods in Queens, and I have always put the needs of Queens’ families first.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.